Tuesday 23 October 2012

Health MOT

Lizzie and I recently joined a gym round the corner from where I work to squeeze in lots of spinning classes, pump some iron, argue on the squash court and then relax in the sauna, although we've only done the first one so far...As part of joining, you get a complementary health MOT, so I went along thinking I would be told I looked great and had lovely eyes, but was just told I didn't need to pay.

As I went through, I had images of me running on a treadmill with an oxygen mask on my face (like you see in sporting documentaries and Lucozade adverts), but instead I just went into a little room where I had my heart rate measured over a few minutes and my finger pricked.
Cholesterol Test - apparently I eat too much cheese!
So what did I find out? My resting heart rate is very low, my VO2Max (ability for body to absorb oxygen) whilst good is only about 2/3 that of Bradley Wiggins, and my cholesterol isn't in danger territory but I could do with eating less red meat and cheese (probably my favourite two things, especially when put together!). My view is that if I'm cycling 80 miles/day for 100 days I can eat whatever I like, especially leading up to Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment